Digital marketing jobs are flooding the job market with millions of opportunities for digital marketing offices and interns. There is no doubt about the increasing job opportunities in the field of digital marketing in the coming months and years.
This is the prime reason why the youth is showing huge interest in this career stream.
Entering the vast field of digital marketing seems very lucrative, but it was so easy to just go in and get a good job straight away. For freshers, finding a well-paying job can be a strenuous task.
The main focus is on how to make the perfect resume that stands out from the rest. So if you are a fresher digital marketer and you want to have a well-established career, it is important to know that the presentation of your skills matters as much as the experiences themselves.
In this article, you will find all the tips that can help you make the perfect resume. You will also find the ideal tips that you should follow and use them accordingly.
How do you create a perfect digital marketing resume?
Like any other resume, a digital marketing resume is a representative of the person who wants to have a successful career in this field. Obviously, you will need relevant experiences, courses, portfolios, and certain achievements that justify your candidature.
But the most important thing that stands out is the preciseness of your resume. It essentially comes up to the following things that you need for your resume-
Your career vision
Without a clear career vision, it is hard to make a perfect resume. Adamant people who are sure about what they are going to do know what they are going to do next.
From the educational qualifications to the things you do as a hobby, they all shape you as an individual. You need not always score exceptional marks, the main thing here is about the progress you have made so far.
In essence, it should connect all the dots. Mention your qualification and the extracurricular things you have considered in, and how they all align with your future plans.
While marking a digital marketing resume, you must have relevant experiences in that field. This shows your curiosity and willingness to work in that field.
Your experiences might include things like taking courses, internships, volunteering work, attending conferences, participating in relevant competitions, and so on. The list goes on.
Past achievements make you a more promising candidate. Be it in extracurricular activities or in any other domain, achievements always promise the candidature of a candidate.
However, don’t worry if you don’t have any spectacular achievements because you can still justify your candidature with other things like experiences and a desire to learn.
With all these things handy, you can have the right structure that you can add to your resume. After that, you can add extra things that will help you enhance your resume.
How should you structure your digital marketing resume?
A great resume is precise and fits inside a single page. A structured resume should be able to guide the evaluator throughout and concentrate on all the good stuff in one go. Here are a few points on how to structure your resume-
- Begin with a captivating introduction and kickstart your chances of getting the recruiter’s prime attention.
- Continue with education qualifications and work experience in reverse-chronological order.
- Mention all your creative endeavors after that. List out all the work you have done and accomplished in digital marketing so far.
- Add something extra that gives more credibility to the resume, like volunteering work or something that is related to digital marketing.
- Don’t forget to add some keywords relevant to digital marketing. Additionally, mention your expertise in various digital marketing tools like Google Adsense, Ahrefs, and many more.
In your resume, always use the right font, and it should be simple and easy to understand. Fonts can be tricky sometimes, and if you don’t know the essentials of designing, it can be a real hard work for you.
Stick to two fonts only; one for the heading and the other one for the main content. For heading, you can choose bold fonts and for the main content, you can either choose serif or sans serif fonts.
Sans serif fonts like Helvetica and Arial are preferable. Don’t decorate it with decorative fonts; keep it as simple as you can.
What if you are a beginner in digital marketing?
Well, this could be the case. There are millions of freshers who are just starting out in the vast field of digital marketing, and they have zero ideas about how to take their first step.
If you are on this list, fret not, you can also have an awesome beginner’s resume if you obey all these steps and use them to empower your resume.
Describe your experiences as a professional in making
Everyone starts from the zero level and gradually finds success on the way. There is no human being who finds success right after birth. Therefore, don’t stress out just because you don’t have enough experience. You can still change that and join the race with the best digital marketers around.
Write a kickass objective section
A perfect and captivating objective section that comes at the beginning is a big advantage. Don’t be plain here, try to be as creative as you can. Just like the title section of a blog, the objective section also holds prime importance. You can maximize your chances of getting hired by as much as 50%.
Apply for internships and other volunteering works
Internships and volunteering can add a lot to your resume. If you have completed an internship, it’s amazing. If you haven’t, take some time out and plan it before writing your resume. An internship, be it paid or unpaid, can drastically improve your resume and increase your chances of getting selected.
So the question is- how and where you can find an internship? Well, there are a lot of platforms, to begin with, but keep in mind that the first step is always difficult (easy in case you have strong connections).
Platforms where you can find internships and volunteering
There are many amazing platforms where you can look for internships as a beginner. Some of these platforms are-
- Internshala- Internshala is the best platform if you are looking for internships. This platform is especially for beginners who want to kickstart their journey. Here, you can make a digital resume and download it as you like. After that, you can apply for internships in digital marketing. For individual internships, you have to submit an application where you have to justify your candidature
- LinkedIn- LinkedIn is, by far, the best and the largest social media network for professionals. Don’t miss out on LinkedIn and make professional contacts to find opportunities and internships that you can mention on your resume.
- Other job portals- There are many other places where you can find internships, from social media websites to websites specifically inclined towards providing internships to young students.
If you complete various courses, they are a big booster for your resume. Nowadays, digital marketing companies and moguls are launching new courses, both free and paid, to help beginners learn digital marketing.
You can use this opportunity to learn how to use digital marketing tools by enrolling in these courses.
Some of the best courses are-
- Fundamentals of Digital Marketing by Google
- Content Marketing Certification Course by Hubspot
- Digital Marketing Course by DMatic
- Google Analytics Individual Qualification
- Google Ads Certification Course
Apart from all of these courses, you can find a lot of other courses on websites like Coursera, Udemy, Skillshare (not for certification purposes), Alison Courses, Hubspot, and many more websites.
The best thing about certification courses is they create a great impression on the employer. After completing a course, you can easily find a relevant internship.
Volunteer and find better opportunities
Volunteering is one of the best options if you are looking for similar experiences. It is sometimes better than doing unpaid internships. Small and big companies consistently look for volunteers and you can find them on social media or companies’ websites.
If you know additional languages apart from Hindi and English, it is a strong point for you and your resume. For example, if you learn popular languages like French and Spanish, you have the advantage of working on websites based on these languages. This proficiency definitely gives you an advantage over other languages.
Some additional tips for the perfect resume-
- Mention your qualifications and achievements in a reverse chronological manner. Reverse chronology helps the evaluator in quickly finding your recent experiences.
- Start with a brilliant introduction that tells about you and your objectives in a line or two.
- Don’t forget to mention all of your educational qualifications and extracurricular activity participation.
- Mention the courses you have done so far.
- Mention your contact details.
- With your resume, don’t forget to add a cover letter.
Where you should design your resume?
Resumes should be simple and always in PDF format. This makes them easier to edit whenever you want and the employer is also able to read them easily.
On the internet, you can find thousands of templates. Some of them are free templates while the rest are paid templates.
For simplicity, you can also design your resume on Google Docs and download it in PDF form. One amazing platform where you can find several resume templates is Canva. It is absolutely worth a try. Here, you can also find different resume designs based on your profession, therefore, it will make things easier for you.
What skills you should have as a digital marketer?
To become a successful digital marketer, you need some skills that you can add to your resume. Some of the skills that are a must for your career and your resume might include-
- Search Engine Optimization- to help blogs and websites rank on the search engine results.
- Search Engine Marketing- to use search engines for promoting your website.
- Communication skills
- Email marketing- Email marketing is an inseparable part of Digital Marketing.
- Content Management Systems like WordPress and Wix.
- Pay Per Click
- Content creation and automation- an important aspect of creating content online.
- Conversion Rate Optimization
- Accountability and analytical skills
A few examples
- Helped in promoting blogs for various websites
- Know how to get backlinks
- Can remove broken and toxic backlinks
As you can see, it is too vague and doesn’t tell much about you. It is lacking specificity. It shows that the person writing this isn’t a willing person or someone who is keen on digital marketing.
- Successfully collaborated with the team and developed a marketing strategy for content, sales, and lead generation.
- Helped the content team promote social media posts and blog posts.
- Increased growth rate with SEO tools by 25%.
Additionally, it is also advised to tailor your resume according to a particular job profile. It totally depends on you, but different job profiles have different requirements from an employee or an intern. Therefore, if you have enough time and extra zeal, you can tailor your resume according to the different job roles you are applying for.
Some extra points to remember
- When in doubt, use the reverse chronological method to list down your skills in the resume.
- List digital marketing skills relevant to the job or internship profile. When in doubt, mention the most popular skills needed in digital marketing like PPC, Google Adsense, etc.
- Mention the education and all the relevant experiences so far.
- Use a minimalistic or precise design for your resume. Don’t go for flowery designs and lacy fonts.
Resume writing is not only art, it is also science. For beginners, it can be a hard job, but once you know all the basic things, it is easier to make a resume. When it comes to digital marketing, your resume can increase your chances of selection by up to 40-50%.
Therefore, take it seriously and successfully portray all your experiences for maximum success.
Choose everything deliberately and in the end, also use the right fonts and the right template. That’s how you can create the best digital marketing resume.